Flood and Storm Information

It's important to keep your health and safety in mind and know how to reduce risks when cleaning up after storms and floods.

The following fact sheets have been supplied by NSW Health, which provide information and advice for maintaining your health during and after storms and floods.


Floods can affect rural property owners in a number of different ways including losses to livestock, crops, fencing, buildings, personal items, farm equipment and machinery.

The NSW SES has developed a Rural Properties FloodSafe Guide for information and advice on floods in rural and remote properties.

During a flood:

  • Never drive, walk or walk through floodwater
  • Remember the safety of your pets and any other animals. You are responsible for their well-being. The NSW Department of Primary Industries may be able to assist you.
  • Keep listening to a local radio station for further information, updates and advice.
  • Keep in contact with your neighbours.
  • Be prepared to evacuate if advised.

If evacuation is required:
Take your emergency kit with you. Turn off the electricity, any gas bottles and the water as you leave.

Where evacuation is necessary and you have livestock, you should notify the NSW Department of Primary Industries with details of:

  • a contact person and contact number
  • the location, type and number of animals
  • your handling facilities
  • availability of food
  • potential problem animals.


  • Never enter flood water
  • Keep listening to your local radio station for information, updates and advice
  • Keep in contact with your support person and follow your Home FloodSafe Plan
  • Be prepared to evacuate if necessary
  • If able, stack your possessions on benches and tables, lacing electrical items at the top
  • Locate and prepare pets for possible evacuation

In life threatening situations call 000
Call NSW SES on 132 500 if you:

  • are trapped by floodwaters
  • need assistance when floodwater is threatening your property
  • require resupply of essential supplies if your property is isolated.

Contact RMS for major road closures, or view Council's road closures page for local road closures. 

Contact utility companies for essential services.


Floods can impact communities across the Singleton area. The NSW SES promotes using sandbags to protect homes and businesses as they can significantly reduce the amount of water entering homes.


Creating or discussing your emergency plan can help you remain safe during a flood. A good emergency plan should:

  • outline key heights that will mean your property and local roads will be effected by flooding
  • identify key triggers for action
  • identify what you need to do to protect your property from flooding
  • key contacts
  • identify routes to reach your safe place.


Stay up to date with official warnings and what they mean. NSW SES flood bulletins provide information on likely flood consequences and what actions are required to protect yourself and your property.

The road closures page  will identify what roads are affected in the Singleton area during a flood.

For further information on road closures and traffic updates see Live Traffic NSW. For further weather updates and flood warnings see Bureau of Meteorology


The NSW SES is the lead emergency management agency during a flood.

Council's role during a flood is to assist emergency management departments such as the SES, Rural Fire Service and the NSW Police.