Planning Agreements


The Mount Thorley Warkworth VPA Community Committee was established to assist Council in engaging with the community to implement the MTW VPA and raise opportunities for sustainable community projects.

The committee is chaired by the Mayor of Singleton, Cr Sue Moore and comprises of Council and Yancoal representatives as well as community members from the surrounding villages.

Click here to view the Mount Thorley Warkworth VPA Community Committee Terms of Reference.

Members of the community are  invited to nominate projects for consideration for funding under the VPA by completing the Project Nomination Form. Nomination forms need to be submitted to Council by Friday 20 November for the December VPA meeting.

The completed form can be returned to Singleton Council by e-mail to E or posted to the General Manager, PO Box 314, Singleton NSW 2330

All ideas submitted will be considered by the Committee biannually.






Voluntary Planning Agreements (VPAs) are voluntary agreements entered into by Council and a developer under Section 7.4 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 to deliver public benefits. These include the dedication of land to Council, monetary contributions, public infrastructure, community facilities, affordable housing, any other material public benefit or any combination of these. PAs are often entered into when a developer has sought a change to an environmental planning instrument or as part of a development application.

Matters often addressed under planning agreements include:

  • The provision of (or the recoupment of the cost of providing) public amenities or public services
  • The provision of (or the recoupment of the cost of providing) affordable housing
  • The provision of (or the recoupment of the cost of providing) transport or other infrastructure relating to land
  • The funding of recurrent expenditure relating to the provision of public amenities or public services, affordable housing or transport or other infrastructure
  • The monitoring of the planning impacts of development
  • The conservation or enhancement of the natural environment

Under a PA, a person may be required to dedicate land free of cost, pay a financial contribution or provide some other material public benefit in consideration of the above matters.

Council maintains a Register of Planning Agreements that have been entered into by Council.

Individual PAs that have been entered into by Council are listed below: