What you need to know about water restrictions


Level 2 Water Restrictions will take effect from Sunday 1 March 2020, penalties to apply for breaching restricted activities from this date. 

Under Level 2 water restrictions, residential outdoor watering is limited to every second day depending on house numbers, vehicles and boats can only be washed using a bucket and rinsed with a hand-held hose with a trigger nozzle between 9am – 12pm, and topping up pools and spas is only permitted between 7am-9am and 6pm-8pm.

For residential customers, level 2 water restrictions mean:

  • When watering lawns and gardens, the odds and evens system applies
  • Water between 6am-9am and 6pm-9pm in summer, and 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm in winter
  • Watering systems (including micro sprays and drip irrigation systems), soaker hoses, non-fixed sprinklers and hand-held hoses are permitted
  • Washing of hard surfaces, walls and windows with a hose is banned. You must spot clean with a bucket and hand-held trigger nozzle or other devices that can be shut off instantly
  • Wash vehicles and boats with a bucket, and rinse with hand-held nozzle or other device that can be shut off instantly between 9am-12pm any day
  • You can top up an existing pool or spa or fill a new pool or spa fixed to a timer between 7am-9am and 6pm-8pm
  • You can fill temporary inflatable children’s pools at any time with a hand-held hose trigger nozzle or other devices that can be shut instantly or fixed to a timer

To find out more about what Level 2 Water Restriction rules apply to you, click here. 


Singleton has a very secure water supply from Glennies Creek Dam, although there may be times when restrictions need to be imposed. Council may interrupt, limit or place restrictions on the supply of water when necessary by order of the Mayor and General Manager, including the:

  • purposes for which the water can be used;
  • times when the water can be used;
  • methods by which the water can be used; and
  • quantities of water that can be used.

Water restrictions are applied in cases of continuing drought conditions or other emergencies, if the available stored water or capacity to supply is limited or in the general interest of all water consumers, such as supporting other areas within the Hunter region experiencing reduced water allocations.

Water restrictions will be widely advertised across various platforms to ensure awareness by all customers. All customers must comply with the conditions of the water restrictions on and from the date specified in the notice. Non-compliance with the conditions of the water restrictions may result in a penalty, in accordance with the relevant legislation and Council resolution.


The levels of water restrictions that will be applied by Council are outlined in Council’s Drought Management and Emergency Response Plan, in particular section 7.  These levels are in line with the regional restrictions adopted by surrounding regional Councils, including Muswellbrook and Upper Hunter, and provide consistency for our neighbouring communities.

There are six levels of restrictions adopted by Council, with the first two creating awareness of the value of water and encouraging the community to be mindful of how and when they use water.  These levels are:

  • Level One – Low Level Restrictions
  • Level Two – Moderate Level Restrictions
  • Level Three – High Level Restrictions
  • Level Four – Severe Level Restrictions
  • Level Five – Extreme Level Restrictions
  • Level Six – Emergency Level Restrictions

For more information on residential restrictions, including watering times, please click here.


Restriction levels for watering activities including gardens and lawns are subject to seasonal variations for summer and winter.  For all restriction levels:

  • Summer means the months of October, November, December, January, February, and March
  • Winter means the months of April, May, June, July, August and September


The odds and evens system is based on the street number of the property and the numbered day of the month.  If the property street number:

  • is an odd number you can water in accordance with the restrictions on odd numbered days of the month
  • is an even number you can water in accordance with the restrictions on even numbered days of the month
  • has a range of numbers then it should be treated as the first number in the range, for example 12 to 15 Smith Street can water on even numbered days of the month, in accordance with the restrictions, 
  • has no street number, then it should be treated as an even property and you can water on even numbered days of the month, in accordance with the restrictions, and
  • has two street numbers (e.g. corner blocks) then it should be treated as an even property. For example, if the property has the addresses 1 Smith Street and 1 John Street then water use, in accordance with restrictions, can occur on even days.

All properties can water in accordance with the restriction levels on 29 February and 31 of months with 31 days.


Water restrictions apply to all residential, commercial, industrial and government customers connected to reticulated water supplies in Council’s water supply area, including the following areas:

  • Singleton (including surrounding suburbs)
  • Singleton Heights (including surrounding suburbs)
  • Whittingham
  • Mount Thorley
  • Jerrys Plains
  • Broke, and
  • Above Obanvale Supply customers.

If you receive a water usage account from Singleton Council, then water restrictions apply to your property! If in doubt, contact Council’s Customer Service Team on 02 6578 7290 or via email.

What about Hunter Water Supply Areas?
If you are located within the Hunter Water Supply Area (Branxton, Dalwood, Leconfield, Belford, North Rothbury), that is, your water usage account is issued by Hunter Water, Council’s water restrictions do not apply. Check Hunter Water’s website for information and advice regarding water restrictions in Hunter Water’s supply areas.

What about Water Licences and Bores?
Water licences, including for water that is supplied from bores and rivers, is not regulated by Council and are not subject to Council’s water restrictions, however this does not mean there are no restrictions on use. Water allocations for these sources are managed by Department of Planning Industry and Investment - Water. Check the Water NSW website, regarding licence conditions.


Section 637 of the Local Government Act, 1993 (NSW) permits Council to apply a penalty to a person who wilfully or negligently wastes or misuses water from a public water supply. From s637, the maximum penalty for a person who wilfully or negligently wastes or misuses water from a public water supply or causes any such water to be wasted is 20 penalty units.

More information can be found here.


Council understands there are times water usage is required outside the designated hours or purposes, or the conditions of restrictions cannot be reasonably met. In these instances, you may apply for a Water Restriction Special Exemption or Variation.

There are two types of variations applicable to water restrictions:

  • Special Exemption - available for one off activities over a short time period; for example pressure cleaning a driveway for repairs and maintenance.
  • Special Variation - available for the duration of the water restriction level applicable to the approval; for example an aged pensioner may apply for a special variation to watering times or days based on when carers are available.

Applications are to be in writing and must include the:

  • details of the activity
  • duration of variation (if an exemption application)
  • address of the property
  • property occupier details.

You can apply by email, post or in person. If the application is successful, approvals and conditions will be granted in writing.


Council’s Drought Management and Emergency Response Plan is driven by defined triggers based on consumption, storage and weather. It details how Council will manage Singleton’s water supply during periods of drought and details these triggers.

To view the current storage level of Glennies Creek Dam, visit NSW Government Water Information.